Venison, Blue Cheese and Blackcurrant PiePRINT RECIPE
Filling best cooked day before and refrigerated over night as the meat absorbs more flavour and the ‘sauce’ thickens.
- savoury short pastry (approx. 6 sheets)
- 1kg diced venison
- 1 Tbsp flour (or use gluten free flour)
- pinch of ground mace
- splash of olive oil or 1 Tbsp butter
- 6 whole allspice
- 1 chopped onion
- 4 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 diced carrot
- 2 Tbsp Barker's Blackcurrant and Red Onion Jelly
- glass of red wine
- splash of red wine vinegar
- 1 cup beef stock
- few springs of chopped thyme
- small bunch of chopped parsley
- segment of blue cheese
- salt/black pepper
- 1 large egg – beaten
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Add the mace to the flour and dust venison in it.
- Brown meat in frying pan, use olive oil/butter. May need to do in batches, adding more oil/butter as required.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until softened.
- Transfer to large saucepan or stockpot. Add all other ingredients (except salt) and cook for approx 1 hr.
- Taste and add salt as required.
- Grease muffin tins, cut pastry to fit bottoms.
- Dollop meat filling into the pastry tins, taking out the whole allspice as you go.
- Add 4 small pieces (about 1cm sq) blue cheese per pie.
- Cut pastry tops, use fork or similar to push them onto the muffin bottoms.
- Decorate with ‘pastry’ antlers, brush with egg mix, and pierce about three small holes per pie for steam to escape.
- Cook for about 25 minutes or until golden brown.