Tropical Treat Cupcakes
Make your own buttermilk by mixing a cup of milk and a tsp of white vinegar/lemon juice. Set aside for 3 minutes and use.
Be sure not to over-bake the cupcakes. Check on them after 20 minutes.
- 200g creme fraiche
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup hot water
- ½ cup Barker’s Lite Tropical fruit syrup
- 2 cups sifted flour (or gluten free flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
BACK TO RECIPES
- Pre-heat oven to 160°C. Line a standard muffin pan with paper liners; set aside.
- Using a mixer, combine together sugar and oil. Add eggs and beat at a medium speed until smooth and uniform in colour.
- Mix in the vanilla, buttermilk, hot water and Barker’s Lite Tropical fruit syrup.
- Add the sifted flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix to combine all the ingredients.
- Pour ⅓ cup of batter into each cupcake liner and bake for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in a wire rack and let it cool before icing.
ICING: combine creme fraiche and icing powder in the bowl of an electric mixer or stand mixer using the whisk attachment, whip until thick and creamy. Be careful not to over mix it or it will become gritty.
GARNISH: In a heavy sauce pan pour in the fruit syrup and gently simmer until it reduces down to a thicker syrup and allow to cool. Allow a good 15 mins for this to gently simmer. This can be drizzled over the crème fraiche icing. In the passionfruit season you can also use fresh passionfruit if desired.