Teriyaki Tofu BowlsPRINT RECIPE
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Add an extra flavour boost: Toss cabbage and carrot with Barker’s Miso & Ginger Dressing. Add a dollop of Japanese mayonnaise to the bowls.
- Prefer fish? Swap tofu for skinless salmon fillets. Season with salt and pepper, lightly pan fry then simmer for a few minutes in Barker’s Honey Teriyaki with Sake Meal Sauce.
- White wine vinegar with a 1/4 teaspoon of sugar is a swap for rice vinegar.
- 600g firm tofu
- 500g jar Barker’s NZ Honey Teriyaki with Sake Meal Sauce, divided
- 1 Tbsp peanut (or any vegetable) oil
- 1 Tbsp cornflour
- salt and pepper, to season
- 1/3 cups sushi rice
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup frozen edamame beans
- 1/4 green cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 large carrot, julienned (finely sliced, matchstick thin)
- 1/4 cup sushi ginger
- 2 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 190°C fan bake. Line a large oven tray with baking paper.
- Drain tofu. Place on a layer of paper towel, with another paper towel on top. Press down gently to remove excess water. Cut into 1.5cm cubes. Place in a resealable bag along with 2 tablespoons Barker’s NZ Honey Teriyaki with Sake Meal Sauce and oil and shake gently to coat. Add cornflour, season with salt and pepper, and shake again.
- Place a single layer of tofu on oven tray and bake for 25 minutes, until golden and crisp on the outside. Pour remaining Barker’s NZ Honey Teriyaki with Sake Meal Sauce into a small saucepan on low heat to gently warm.
- Meanwhile, rinse rice well. Place in a medium-large non-stick pot and stir in water. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to medium, cover with a lid and leave to simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and leave to rest for 5 minutes. Use a wooden spoon to stir vinegar, sugar and salt into rice.
- Pour boiling water over the edamame beans. Leave for 2 minutes, then drain.
- Toss cooked tofu through warmed teriyaki sauce. Divide rice between individual serving bowls and top with cabbage, carrot, edamame, tofu (including plenty of sauce) and ginger.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds to serve.