Steak w/ Blue Cheese Butter and Black Cherry & Pinot Noir saucePRINT RECIPE
Recipe created by Kathy Paterson, create for NZ Cheese Month.
Choose your favourite steak – eye fillet, scotch fillet, sirloin or T-bone steak to cook. Serve with a simple green salad, baked potatoes, blue cheese butter and the Barker’s Black Cherry & Pinot Noir sauce.
- 50g blue cheese (we recommend Whitestone Windsor Blue)
- 25g butter, softened
- a dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon soft thyme leaves
Steaks and pan sauce
- 4 fillet steaks, at room temperature
- olive oil for rubbing
- sea salt and pepper
- a good splash of red wine
- 250ml beef stock
- 1 tablespoon Barker’s Black Cherry & Pinot Noir Fruit for Cheese
- Make the blue butter, using a fork mash together the blue cheese and butter. Add a dash of Worcestershire sauce and the thyme. Place on a piece of baking paper and roll into a log. Keep in the fridge until ready to use.
- Pan-fry the steaks, heat a large frying pan until hot. Rub the steaks with a little oil and grind over black pepper. Place in the pan ensuring they are not touching to prevent the meat from steaming. Pan-fry for 3-4 minutes on each side for medium-rare steak. Remove from the pan and place on a warmed plate. Season with salt and cover loosely.
- Add a splash of red wine to the hot pan then pour in the stock. Reduce until the sauce is syrupy, stirring in the Barker's Black Cherry & Pinot Noir Fruit for Cheese when you are happy with the consistency. Check seasoning.
- Serve steaks with blue cheese butter and the sauce.