Simply Roasted PearsPRINT RECIPE
- 3 ripe Beurre Bosc pears or other russet-coloured pear varietal
- 2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- a good drizzle extra-virgin olive oil
- freshly ground white pepper
- a few sprigs fresh thyme
- 100ml white wine
- a good squeeze of lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line a large roasting tray with baking paper.
- Thickly slice the pears lengthwise. You should get 4 slices from each pear. Place in a single layer in the prepared tray.
- Sprinkle over the brown sugar, drizzle over the oil and grind over some pepper. Scatter pears with thyme. Mix together the wine and lemon juice and drizzle over the pears.
- Place in the oven to roast for 30-40 minutes until just tender. I like to remove from the oven and baste pear slices in the roasting juices halfway through roasting. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Serve roasted pears on a cheeseboard. Use with blue cheese, a vintage cheddar or goat’s cheese, and Barker’s Feijoa and Pear Fruit for Cheese.
- Add to a salad using leafy greens, blue cheese, toasted sourdough bread, and nuts.
- Or simply eat on their own to finish your meal.
- A note on the wine – in the fridge was an opened bottle of Marlborough Pinot Gris so used this.