Rhubarb & Raspberry Ripple CakePRINT RECIPE
- The cake mixture will be sticky! Tip: wet fingers with water and you’ll be able to spread the batter out as necessary.
- 1 cup rhubarb (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup Barker's Raspberries fruit preserve
- 1 Tbsp cornflour
CAKE & CRUMBLE:
- 2 1/4 cups high grade flour (or gluten free flour)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 150g butter
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup plain yoghurt
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Grease the sides of a spring form tin (with a removable bottom).
- To make the rhubarb/raspberry filling: heat thinly sliced rhubarb and Raspberries fruit preserve, mixed with the cornflour over medium heat, stirring regularly so it doesn't burn. Cook until rhubarb is soft (approx 20 minutes). If the sauce becomes too thick, add 1-2 tablespoons of water. Remove from heat and let cool.
- To make the cake/crumble topping: In a large bowl, sift flour and add sugar and cold butter (cut into small pieces) and knead with your fingers to make a breadcrumb-type crumb. Set aside 3/4 cup of crumb (as you'll use this later).
- With the remaining mix add baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl mix egg and yoghurt, make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and mix together.
- Spread 2/3 of the batter in the spring form pan ensuring it covers the base and slightly up the sides of the tin.
- Spread the rhubarb/jam filling onto the batter, then drop irregular mounds of remaining cake mix on top of the filling. Sprinkle the crumb over the top (including filling any gaps where you may still see the filling).
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.