Purple Kumara WafflesPRINT RECIPE
Prep: 30 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
Recipe by Fiona Smith.
These beautiful Purple Kumara Waffles topped with Barker’s Peach, Mango, and Passionfruit Fruit Compote is a delicious start to your morning (or the perfect dessert!). Serve with fruit compote, thick Greek-style or coconut yoghurt, toasted coconut and yoghurt shards.
- 150g purple kumara flesh, peeled
- 75g butter
- 200ml milk
- 2 TB lemon juice
- ½ cup wholemeal flour
- ½ cup self-raising flour
- ¼ cup cornflour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp caster sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 medium eggs
- Barker's Peach, Mango, and Passionfruit Fruit Compote
- ½ cup coconut yoghurt
- Topping: your choice of freeze-dried fruit (we used blueberry and mandarin), chia seeds, coconut, chopped fresh fruit, toasted muesli etc.
- Cut the kumara into even pieces and cook gently in water until tender. Drain and mash well, then set aside to cool.
- Melt the butter and set aside to cool.
- Combine the milk and lemon juice and set aside to thicken.
- Put the flours, cornflour, baking powder, caster sugar and salt in a bowl and mix to combine, then create a well in the middle.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk mixture, eggs and kumara to a smooth mix.
- Stir this into the dry, flour mix until smooth then gently fold in the butter.
- Heat a waffle iron to medium setting.
- Cook waffles – around 5 mins for a deep iron and 3-4 mins for a thinner iron - until the batter is cooked through and they are nicely browned. Keep warm on a rack in a 180°C oven while you cook the rest of the waffles.
- Serve with yoghurt and drizzle liberally with Barker’s Compote and sprinkle over the yoghurt shards.
Tip: You can make your waffles ahead and reheat them in the oven, or pop them in the toaster for a minute, but take care they don’t burn.