Potato & Halloumi Cheese BakePRINT RECIPE
This is a stunning vegetarian meal which potato and halloumi cheese fans alike will fall in love with too. A great way for the family to embrace meat-free meals.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 35 minutes
Recipe created by Fiona Smith
Imagery by Josie at @yourultimatemenu
- 600g (about 3 medium/large potatoes), peeled
- Oil or butter for greasing
- Salt and pepper
- 355g Barker’s Tomato Spinach Saagwala Meal Sauce
- 200g halloumi cheese, sliced
- Pre-heat oven to 190°C fan bake.
- Put the potatoes in a pot and cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes, then drain. Cool and thinly slice.
- Lightly grease a small baking dish, spread with about ¼ cup of Barker’s Tomato Spinach Saagwala Meal Sauce and cover with a third of the potato slices.
- Season with salt and pepper and top with a third of the remaining sauce.
- Repeat the potato and sauce layers two more times, finishing with sauce.
- Add ¼ cup/60ml water to the jar, shake to combine and pour evenly over the top.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then cover the top with the halloumi slices and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and if the halloumi needs browning, turn the oven to grill and cook for a few minutes until golden.
- Rest for 5 minutes before serving with a green vegetable of your choice on the side.
Tips and tricks/other usage ideas:
- You can prepare this dish ahead of time up until the end of step 6, then refrigerate and bake later. Bring it up to room temperature before baking, or give it a bit more time in the oven to compensate.