Ploughman’s PiePRINT RECIPE
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 stalk of celery, finely diced
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2-3 Tbsp Barker's Ploughman’s Chutney
- 500g lamb mince
- 2 Tbsp plain flour
- 500ml beef stock
- 800g potatoes, peeled, quartered
- ½ cup milk
- 50g butter
- sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Add oil to a large fry pan over high heat. Add onion, garlic, carrot and celery and fry 3-4 mins until softened. Add tomato paste and chutney, stir well. Add mince, stir well then fry 6-8 mins until browned and cooked through.
- Add flour, mix well. Add stock, bring to the boil then reduce heat and cook, stirring occasionally for 20-25 mins until thickened. Season.
- Preheat oven to 200ºC (180ºC fan).
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan of cold, salted water. Bring to the boil then cook for 20-25 mins until soft. Drain, add milk and half the butter and mash well. Taste and season with salt according to taste.
- Spoon the mince mixture into an ovenproof dish (2L capacity) then top with mashed potato, using a fork to decorate the top. Press dabs of extra butter into the potato topping then bake 20-25 mins until golden.
- Serve hot.