Peach & Polenta TartPRINT RECIPE
Prep: 30 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
Recipe by Fiona Smith.
We’ve created this delicious fruit tart with peaches, but you can use any fruit suitable for cooking – choose from nectarines, plums, rhubarb, apple, pear, or raspberries – then match it with a complementary Fruit Compote from the Barker’s range.
This recipe is gluten free as it’s made with polenta and ground almonds.
- 150g fine instant polenta*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 150g ground almonds
- 150g unsalted butter, softened
- 150g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2-3 fresh peaches, thinly sliced
- 5 tablespoons Barker’s Peach, Mango & Passionfruit Fruit Compote, plus extra to serve
- Heat the oven to 180° Celsius
- Cut a piece of baking paper slightly bigger than a 22-23cm square or round tart time, and push it into the tin so it comes up the side a little
- Sift the polenta, baking powder and salt together into a bowl and stir in the ground almonds
- In another bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in the eggs, one at a time and add the vanilla essence. Fold in the polenta mixture
- Smooth into the prepared tin and top with peach slices. Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean
- Remove from the oven and spoon the compote over the warm cake while it is still in the tin
- Let the cake sit for 5 minutes then remove from the tin and place on a rack to cool
Serve with more compote, Greek yoghurt, cream or creme fraiche on the side.
*if your polenta is too coarse, you can pass it through a sieve and use the fine polenta for this recipe and the remaining coarse polenta for other meals.