Paprika Chicken & RicePRINT RECIPE
This Paprika Chicken & Rice one-pot wonder is simple to prepare and is sure to impress your guests. You can even do the prep ahead of time and bake it later to make life even easier.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 50 minutes
Recipe created by Fiona Smith
Imagery by Josie at @yourultimatemenu
- 4 chicken thigh pieces, bone in
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 capsicum, sliced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 375g Barker’s Hearty Beef Goulash Meal Sauce
- Heat the oven to 180°C.
- Heat the oil to high in a medium-sized ovenproof casserole dish and brown the chicken on both sides, skin side down first. Remove and set aside.
- Turn the heat down to medium and cook the onion and celery, with a sprinkle of salt, for 2-3 minutes to soften, then add the capsicum and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Stir in the paprika and cook for 1 minute, then add the rice and stir well to combine.
- Nestle the chicken into the rice mixture and pour over the Barker's Hearty Beef Goulash Meal Sauce. Add 1 cup water to the jar, shake to combine, and add to the dish.
- Stir well again and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and bake in the oven for 45 minutes, stirring once.
- Remove and let the casserole sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Tips and tricks/other usage ideas:
- If you can’t source chicken thighs, substitute for chicken drumsticks, or buy leg/thigh pieces, cutting through the joint to separate the leg from the thigh before cooking.
- To make a speedier version of this recipe:
- Brown sliced boneless chicken in a fry pan and set aside
- Cook the onion, celery, capsicum and paprika as per the recipe
- Stir in 250g pre-cooked rice, add the Barker’s Hearty Goulash Meal Sauce and chicken and heat through for 5 minutes
- You can adapt this speedier version by substituting large raw prawns or squid rings for a seafood twist – just fry them very quickly in the first step so they don’t overcook. Add a squeeze of lemon juice when serving.