Orange Syrup Cake with Cardamom CreamPRINT RECIPE
The perfectly easy morning or afternoon tea cake. Sour cream and Orange with Barley & Passionfruit fruit syrup combine to make this cake deliciously moist.
Recipe created for us by Jessica, Daily Gluttony
- 125g butter, cubed at room temperature
- 1 cup of caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 300ml sour cream
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 2/3 cup Barker’s Orange, Barley and Passionfruit fruit syrup
- 200g double cream
- 2 tsp ground cardamom
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 180oC and grease and line a 22cm round cake tin with non-stick baking paper.
- Using an electric beater or kitchen mixer beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until just combined. Add the sour cream and 1/3 cup of Orange, Barley and Passionfruit fruit syrup, reserving the remaining syrup for cup for later use.
- Sift the flours into the mixture and stir until just combined. Spoon into the prepared cake tin and smooth the surface. Bake in the oven for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, place the double cream into a small bowl, add ground cardamom and stir well to combine.
- Remove the cake from oven and while hot use a bamboo skewer to prick the top of cake all over, pour over the remaining 1/3 cup of Orange, Barley and Passionfruit fruit syrup allowing the cake to absorb the syrup as you go. Set aside for 15 minutes to cook slightly, remove from tin, cut into slices and serve warm with cardamom cream.