Onion Marmalade SconesPRINT RECIPE
Makes: 16 small scones
- 1 3/4 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup wholemeal flour
- 5 tsp baking powder
- 50g butter (cubed)
- 3/4 cup grated cheese (tasty or edam)
- 3/4 cup milk mixed with 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp Barker’s NZ Onion Marmalade
- 1/2 cup cheese (extra)
- Heat oven to 230°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Sift together both flours and baking powder into a large bowl.
- Add the cubed butter and using fingertips rub it into the flours until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Mix the cheese through. Add NZ Onion Marmalade.
- Pour in the combined milk and water a little at a time. Using a knife “cut” the liquid into the dry ingredients. Work quickly but don’t mix or overwork the mixture. You may not need to add all the milk and water. The dough should be moist but not stick to your hands.
- Dust flour onto a cold work surface. Shape the dough into a rectangle (don’t knead it) and turn it once. Cut the dough into squares – it should make approx. 16 small scones – arrange on baking tray leaving a gap of about 1cm between scones.
- Sprinkle the scones with the extra grated cheese and bake for 12 mins.
- Remove scones from the oven and slide them (on the baking paper) onto a clean tea towel. Cover and leave for 5 – 10 mins. Serve with butter.