Minty Slow-cooked Lamb ShanksPRINT RECIPE
Recipe created for us by Sarah Tuck, From the Kitchen
- 6 lamb shanks
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, sliced
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/3 cup Barker's The Best Balsamic Mint sauce
- 1½ cups lamb stock
- ½ cup red wine
- mint leaves to garnish
- Season lamb shanks well with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a large, deep frying pan and sear shanks on all sides, then set aside.
- Add onion, celery, carrot and garlic to pan and cook for 10-12 minutes on medium until onion is softened but not coloured.
- Add The Best Balsamic Mint sauce, stock and red wine to pan and bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes while oven preheats to 170˚C.
- Put lamb shanks in an ovenproof dish and cover with sauce. Cook uncovered for 30 minutes. Cover with tinfoil, reduce oven to 150˚C and cook a further 3 hours.
- Remove shanks from sauce and chill both separately overnight. Skim fat from surface of the sauce then reheat together at 170˚C for half an hour.
- Garnish with mint and serve with plenty of mashed potatoes and minted peas or vegetables of your choice.