Milk Caramel EclairsPRINT RECIPE
- 60g butter, chopped
- 160ml cold water
- 50g cup plain flour (or gluten free flour)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 400ml thickened cream
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- ¼ icing sugar, sifted
- ½ jar Barker's Dulce de Leche
- ¼ cup cocoa nibs
- 12 edible flowers
- Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan-forced). Line 2 large baking trays with greaseproof baking paper.
- CHOUX PASTRY: Combine butter and water in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook for 3- 4 minutes or until butter has melted and mixture just starts to boil.
- Add flour and reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until mixture comes away from side of pan and forms a ball. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool.
- In a small bowl, reserve 2 teaspoons of whisked egg. Using a wooden spoon, slowly beat in remaining egg until well combined and mixture forms a glossy dough.
- Spoon dough into a piping bag fitted with a 2cm plain nozzle. Pipe 10cm long logs, 5cm apart, onto prepared trays, allowing to spread. Brush with reserved egg.
- Bake 1 tray of eclairs for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden and puffed. Using a small knife, carefully cut eclairs in half horizontally. Return to oven, cut-side up. Bake for 5 minutes to dry out centres. Cool on tray. Increase temperature to 220°C/200°C fan-forced. Repeat with remaining tray.
- VANILLA CREAM: Beat cream, vanilla and sugar until firm peaks. Spoon cream into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm fluted nozzle. Pipe cream evenly over eclair bases.
- DECORATE: Spread tops of eclairs with milk caramel place over cream. Decorate with cocoa nibs and edible flowers. Serve immediately or place in the fridge for a few hours before serving.