Lemon, Honey, Ginger Sticky ChickenPRINT RECIPE
Serves: 4 – 5
Preparation time: 1 hr and 10 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
- The marinade contains brown sugar which creates caramelisation while cooking. It tends to burn the bottom of the pan if left unchecked to ensure so stir regularly.
- You can also roast the sesame seeds before use by heating a pan and toasting them for a minute or two.
- 800g-1 kg chicken nibbles
- ½ cup light soy sauce (or gluten free tamari soy sauce)
- 2 Tbsp dark soy sauce (or gluten free tamari soy sauce)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp Barker’s Red Pepper & Chilli Jelly
- 1 cup Barker’s Lemon, Honey & Ginger fruit syrup
- 2 Tbsp garlic, minced
- splash of vegetable oil
- 2x 200g Hokkien noodles (or noodle of your choice)
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 red capsicum, cubed
- 1 green capsicum, cubed
- ½ cup spring onions, chopped
- pinch of sesame seeds
- handful of spring onions, julienned
- Mix together marinade ingredients then coat chicken nibbles, leaving to marinate overnight covered in fridge (or a minimum of an hour on a cool bench).
- Heat a fry pan over a medium heat and add the chicken and marinade. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, checking every 5 minutes to make sure it doesn't burn on the bottom of the pan. Meanwhile, prepare the noodles by following the instructions on the pack. Set aside.
- The simmering chicken will now be turning quite sticky and this is the time to increase the temperature and move chicken around the pan with a wooden spoon to prevent burning. Continue until the chicken is completely coated with the caramelised sauce. Allow 15 minutes to ensure the chicken is cooked through completely.
- Turn the heat off and transfer the cooked chicken to a warm serving plate.
- Cook the noodles using the same fry pan. Add the vegetables and stir-fry for 3 minutes. Mix to combine.
- Serve and garnish with sesame seeds and spring onions.