Lemon and Lime Meringue PiePRINT RECIPE
- Serve hot or cold.
- The filling and shell can be prepared ahead but always whip egg whites just before use.
- Try using Barker’s Squeezed NZ Limes with Elderflower as a delicate alternative.
- 1 sheet frozen sweet short crust pastry
- 1/3 cup cornflour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup Barker’s Lemon & Lime fruit syrup
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 50g butter
- 4 eggs, separated
- Line a tart tin/dish with the pastry, prick the base with a fork, chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Put a sheet of baking paper on top of pastry, add another similar sized baking tin on top and blind bake for 15 minutes.
- In a saucepan mix together the cornflour, water, fruit syrup and heat slowly.
- Whisk continuously in saucepan, over heat, until thickened.
- Whisk in the butter and egg yolks and continue to whisk until boiled and thick.
- Pour into the pastry base.
- Whisk the egg whites with sugar until stiff. Swirl on top of the pie filling.
- Bake at 200°C for 10-15 minutes until meringue tips are browned.