Lamb Saagwala CurryPRINT RECIPE
This versatile Lamb Saagwala Curry recipe is deliciously made with the classic flavour of lamb but easily adapted to create both vegetarian or vegan versions too. We guarantee you’ll be hooked once you try it!
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
Recipe created by Fiona Smith
Imagery by Josie at @yourultimatemenu
- 400g boneless quick-cooking lamb, such as leg steaks or rump
- Salt and pepper
- 2 TBSP oil
- 355g Barker’s Tomato Spinach Saagwala Meal Sauce
- To serve: basmati rice, toasted slivered almonds, coconut cream
- Cut the lamb into slices about 1cm x 3cm and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a high heat and cook the lamb for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally to brown the meat on all sides.
- Pour over the Barker’s Tomato Spinach Saagwala Meal Sauce and stir to combine, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve with rice, scattered with toasted almonds and a drizzle of coconut cream.
Tips and tricks/other usage ideas:
- Chopped coriander or mint are perfect sprinkled over this curry, or if you’re keen to impress, try quickly frying curry leaves in hot oil for 30 seconds to create a delicious garnish.
- For a slow-cooked version, choose a slow cook cut such as lamb shoulder and slice into chunky cubes. Brown the lamb as per the recipe then add to a small slow cooker with the meal sauce and ¼ jar of cold water. Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours. Cooking times differ between slow cookers, so adjust your cooking time accordingly if required.
- Once you’ve tried this recipe, change it up – it’s also great with chicken or fish. For a vegetarian version, try paneer or, if you’re creating a vegan dish, switch out for firm tofu cubes or canned, drained chickpeas.