Devilled SausagesPRINT RECIPE
- Swap out the celery for a green of your choice, leek is good if you’ve got plenty over winter.
- Experiment with other fruit as well over winter, a tamarillo or two is also perfect instead or alongside the apples or peaches.
- Pork sausages work well too with the apple.
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp cornflour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp Barker's Best Balsamic Mint Sauce
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce (or gluten free tamari soy sauce)
- 8-12 NZ lamb sausages (approx 700g)
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (400g)
- 1 large onion
- 1 stick celery (chopped)
- 1 can peaches (400g, slightly drained) or use 1-2 Granny Smith apples, chopped.
- Mash to serve
- Place sugar, cornflour and salt into your slow cooker or crock pot. Add the mint sauce and soy sauce and stir until smooth.
- Separate sausages and brown in a little oil for a few minutes in a heavy-based fry pan. Place into the crock pot in the liquid with the tomatoes.
- Chop the peeled onion length-wise and brown in the fry pan you used previously. Add browned onion, celery and peaches (or apples) to the crock pot, and stir into the mixture.
- Cook for 8 hours on the slow cooker or crockpot low setting.
- Serve on creamy mash with the sauce drizzled over.