Curried SausagesPRINT RECIPE
This Curried Sausages dish evokes fond memories and, if you haven’t tried it before, now’s your chance to introduce your family to this Kiwi classic. It’s perfect for weeknights both winter and summer – we recommend serving it with mashed potato in winter, and swapping out to rice during summer for a lighter touch.
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 22 minutes
Recipe created by Fiona Smith
Imagery by Josie at @yourultimatemenu
- 2 tsp oil
- 600g plain pork, chicken or beef sausage – use gluten free sausages if preferred
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 apple, sliced
- 500g Barker’s Classic Kiwi Curried Sausages Meal Sauce
- Mashed potato or rice to serve
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and cook the sausages for 10 minutes until browned and just cooked through. Remove from the pan, slice thickly and set aside.
- Reduce the heat slightly, add the onion to the pan and cook for 5 minutes to soften.
- Add the apple, stir to combine and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add the sausages back to the pan, along with the Barker’s Classic Kiwi Curried Sausages Meal Sauce and stir. Bring up to a simmer, then cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve with mashed potato or rice.
Tips and tricks/other usage ideas:
- For a vegan version, use your favourite vegetarian sausages. If you’re eating gluten-free, just use gluten-free sausages to complement our meal sauce.
- For a classic touch, add a couple of handfuls of raisins along with the sausages for a touch of sweetness.
- Frozen vegetables are a great addition to this quick dinner to dial up the vegetable content. Try adding peas, green beans, or mixed veges.
- If you’re really in a rush, forget the mashed potato and serve with some crusty bread on the side to mop up the delicious sauce.
- Create a simple accompaniment by mixing some plain Greek yoghurt with some Barker’s New Zealand Onion Marmalade. Taste and adjust as required and serve that on the side of the plate.