Crispy Sweet & Sour ChickenPRINT RECIPE
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Make ahead: Chicken and sauce can be made ahead of time (don’t combine the two). Reheat chicken on a rack over a roasting dish at 180°C for 10 minutes. Warm sauce in a pan or the microwave. Combine chicken and sauce just before serving.
- Vegetarian? Try tofu in place of the chicken.
- For a vegan meal try these egg substitutes: 2 Tbsp apple sauce or 1 Tbsp linseed/flaxseed + ½ cup water – boil until it becomes a gel.
- 3/4 cup cornflour
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- salt and pepper, to season
- 600g boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2cm pieces
- oil, for frying
- 1 large red capsicum, diced
- 1 brown onion, cut into pieces
- 425g pineapple chunks in juice
- 500g jar Barker’s Easy Sweet’n Sticky Meal Sauce
- rice, to serve
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced (optional)
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 100°C fan bake.
- Whisk cornflour, flour and baking powder in a medium-large bowl. Add water, egg and soy sauce then whisk until smooth to form a batter.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and mix into batter.
- Pour oil into a wok (approx 3cm from the bottom) and heat on medium-high. When oil is hot, in batches add chicken to the wok and fry for 3-4 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to a rack set over a roasting dish and place in oven to keep warm while the rest of the chicken is cooked.
- Carefully remove all but 1-2 Tbsp oil from the wok. Add capsicum and onion and stir fry for 3-4 minutes, until tender.
- Stir in pineapple (add a little of the juice from the can if you like) and Barker’s Easy Sweet’n Sticky Meal Sauce. Simmer for a few minutes to warm through.
- Stir chicken into sauce and veggies.
- Serve on rice, topped with spring onions and sesame seeds, if using.