Chocolate & Coconut TortePRINT RECIPE
To make the ganache frosting, warm the cream and chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until chocolate has completely melted and mixture is smooth. Refrigerate for 1/2 hr, stirring occasionally for even cooling, until mixture is consistency of thickened cream. Hand whisk the cooled mixture until thicker and spreadable. Be careful not to whisk it until it’s too stiff.
- 150g unsalted butter, softened and chopped
- 180g dark chocolate, chopped
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 egg whites, extra
- 220g caster sugar
- 75g plain flour (or gluten free flour)
- 60g desiccated coconut
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Barker’s Squeezed NZ Blackcurrant fruit syrup
- 3/4 cup thickened cream
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped
- 200g blueberries, to decorate
- 200g raspberries, to decorate
- chocolate curls, to decorate
- gold leaf, optional
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease and line base of two 20cm layer tins with baking paper.
- Melt butter and 180g chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water (don't let the bowl touch the water). Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, beat the 4 egg yolks and 55g caster sugar with electric beaters until thick and pale. Gradually beat in the cooled chocolate mixture and 1/4 cup Squeezed NZ Blackcurrant fruit syrup, until combined.
- In a separate clean bowl, whisk the 6 egg whites to soft peaks, then gradually add 165g caster sugar and whisk until stiff and glossy. Fold one-third of the meringue into the chocolate mixture to loosen, then gradually fold in remaining meringue.
- Sift over flour, add desiccated coconut and 1/2 teaspoon salt, then fold in. Evenly divide the batter between the two baking tins and bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave cake in pan until cooled completely.
- Carefully remove cakes from their tins and place one layer on a cake plate or cake stand. With the remaining blackcurrant fruit syrup, brush 1/3 over the top of the first cake layer, then top with remaining cake layer. Gently brush on the remaining syrup to the top and sides of the cake.
- Cover the cake in the ganache frosting and decorated with blueberries, raspberries, chocolate curls and gold leaf.