Chicken, Bacon & Leek PiePRINT RECIPE
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
- In the warmer months, serve this pie with a big green salad. For the ultimate cosy winter meal, go for steamed green beans and broccoli.
- Chicken breast, tenderloins or stir fry pieces are perfect swaps for boneless chicken thighs.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 500g boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cubed
- salt and pepper, to season
- 200g bacon, diced
- leek, white section only, washed and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed (or 1 tsp crushed garlic from a jar)
- 500g jar Barker’s NZ Mushroom & Red Wine Meal Sauce
- sheets frozen puﬀ pastry, defrosted
- 1 egg, lightly whisked (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan bake.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan on medium-high. Season chicken with salt and pepper, then fry chicken and bacon until chicken is lightly browned. Add leek and garlic and cook until leek is soft (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in Barker’s NZ Mushroom & Red Wine Meal Sauce and simmer for 5 minutes, until sauce has reduced a little. Remove from heat and leave to cool while you prepare the pastry.
- Lightly grease a 23cm round pie dish. Line the base and sides of the dish with one of the pastry sheets, trimming to fit. Place a sheet of baking paper on top and fill with pie weights or scrunched up foil. 'Blind bake' pastry for 10 minutes.
- Remove baking paper and weights and pour the chicken filling into the pastry base. Place the remaining pastry sheet on top. Trim to fit and gently push the edges down into the sides of the dish. Cut three small slits in the top, to allow steam to escape. Brush the top of the pie with the whisked egg, if using.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until pastry is golden and puﬀed.