Butter Chickpea Baked PotatoPRINT RECIPE
This delicious vegan Butter Chickpea Baked Potato recipe matches two crowd favourites: the flavour of butter chicken with baked potatoes. With the oven doing all the heavy lifting, you just need to create the simple sauce topping and enjoy!
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 1 hour for potatoes, plus 10 minutes for sauce
Recipe created by Fiona Smith
Imagery by Josie at @yourultimatemenu
- 4 – 6 medium potatoes, scrubbed
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 400g can chickpeas, drained
- 500g Barker’s Classic Butter Chicken Meal Sauce
- 4-6 TBSP thick, plain coconut yoghurt
- Chopped chives
- Heat the oven to 180°C.
- Pierce the potatoes all over with a fork, then rub with a little oil and salt. Place on a baking rack and bake for about 1 hour, or until soft when pierced with a sharp knife.
- Put the Barker’s Butter Chicken Meal Sauce in a saucepan with the drained chickpeas and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes until hot.
- Slice a cross in the top of the potatoes and, using your thumbs and first fingers, push the sides to open out the potato. Alternatively, cut the potato into two halves and lay cut side up.
- Spoon the chickpeas mixture over the potatoes and top with a spoonful of yoghurt and a sprinkle of chives and ground pepper.
- You can substitute the coconut yoghurt for Greek yoghurt if you don’t need this recipe to be vegan.
- Try changing things up by replacing the potato with kumara, or substituting the chickpeas with canned lentils.
- For a meaty version, panfry 400g chicken, beef or lamb mince in a little oil, then add the meal sauce and simmer for 10 minutes before spooning over the potatoes.
- If you love grated cheese on a baked potato, choose a mild flavoured one to complement the flavours in the sauce.