Butter Chicken CurryPRINT RECIPE
Now it’s even easier to get one of New Zealand’s favourite curries on the dinner table. As our Classic Butter Chicken Meal Sauce is created with coconut cream rather than cream, this recipe can be adapted to create a vegan version by simply swapping out the protein.
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
Recipe created by Fiona Smith
Imagery by Josie at @yourultimatemenu
- Salt and pepper to season
- 600g boneless chicken, cut into 2cm cubes (or your choice of protein, see Tips below)
- 1 TBSP oil
- 500g Barker’s Classic Butter Chicken Meal Sauce
- Basmati rice, to serve
- 3 TBSP chopped coriander or parsley
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan over a medium heat and cook the chicken for 5 minutes until browned.
- Add Barker’s Classic Butter Chicken Meal Sauce to the pan and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Scatter with coriander or parsley.
- Serve with basmati rice.
Tips and tricks/other usage ideas:
- Add some beautiful additions to build your meal: serve with roti or naan bread instead of, or in addition to, the rice. Create a simple raita by combining natural unsweetened yoghurt, grated cucumber, chopped mint and a pinch of salt. You can also serve this curry with one of our Barker’s chutneys on the side – we recommend either Spiced Eggplant Chutney or Roasted Vegetable Chutney.
- For an extra touch of colour, add ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder to your rice when cooking.
- To make a vegan curry, substitute the chicken for cubes of tofu, chickpeas or your favourite canned white beans – just drain them first.
- Vegetables are a great addition to this curry to make a bigger portion and get more veges in your day. Green vegetables such as peas, beans and small broccoli florets can be added in the last 5 minutes of cooking. Or try adding small cubes of kumara or pumpkin when adding the meal sauce.