Blackcurrant Balsamic Glazed Pork BellyPRINT RECIPE
Recipe created for us by Jessica, Daily Gluttony
- 1kg pork belly
- 2 Tbsp of olive oil
- 6 sprigs fresh rosemary
- freshly ground sea salt
- boiling water to fill roasting tray
- ½ cup Barker’s Squeezed NZ Blackcurrant fruit syrup
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic – whole, crushed
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 150°C.
- Place the pork belly on a clean, dry cutting board and pat well, all over with paper towel. Using a sharp knife, score the fat of the pork belly at 1cm intervals in a crisscross pattern; be careful not to cut into the meat. Scatter the pork belly liberally with salt and allow to rest for five minutes before patting well with paper towel.
- Fill the bottom of a roasting tray with boiling water; be careful to ensure that the liquid does not touch the bottom of the roasting rack. Place the rosemary sprigs on the roasting rack and place the pork belly on top of the rosemary sprigs. Rub the pork belly with olive oil and lightly salt.
- Place in oven for 2 ½ hours, topping up the water as needed.
- Meanwhile, place Squeezed NZ Blackcurrant fruit syrup, balsamic vinegar, rosemary sprigs and garlic cloves in a small bowl, mix well and allow to sit.
- Remove the pork belly from the oven, increase oven temperature to 180°C, brush entire pork belly well with glaze, ensuring you apply several coats and return to oven for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove rosemary sprigs and garlic from glaze mix, add water and place in a small pot, over a low heat and allow to reduce to your taste, mixing as needed. Once the liquid has reduced and thickened, place into a serving bowl and serve with pork belly.
- Remove pork belly from oven and place under a hot grill to allow fat to crisp and bubble – keep a careful watch over this as it will only take a few minutes.
- Slice the pork belly into 4cm wide pieces and serve with glaze reduction, mashed potato and greens.