Black Forest TriflePRINT RECIPE
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
TIP: To make this non-alcoholic, replace the brandy with 1/2 cup of liquid from canned plums, cherries or raspberries.
Recipe & Photo by Fresh
- 6 store bought chocolate muffins (or gluten free muffins)
- 1 jar Barker's Morello Cherry fruit preserve
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 2 x 450g pots store bought vanilla custard, room temperature
- 250g 50-60% dark chocolate, 200g melted
- 300ml cream
- 1 tsp vanilla paste or extract
- 1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- Remove paper wrap from muffins, then roughly crumble into base of a trifle bowl (not too finely). Spoon and spread 1/2 of the Morello Cherry fruit preserve over the muffins, then pour brandy evenly over the top and leave to macerate for 15 minutes.
- Scoop custard into a bowl, then whisk in melted chocolate until combined*.
- Spoon custard into trifle bowl and spread evenly over muffins and cherry mix. Spoon over remaining cherry jam.
- Whip cream to soft peaks with vanilla, then spread over the top of trifle. Refrigerate for minimum 2 hours.
- Just before serving, dust with cocoa powder and grate the remaining chocolate over the top.