Beer & Marmalade Glazed HamPRINT RECIPE
A new ham glaze to enjoy, this beer and orange marmalade glaze may be enjoyed this Christmas and for years to come.
Recipe and photo by Fresh.co.nz
- 1 cooked leg ham
- 330ml beer
- 150g Barker's Grapefruit & Orange Marmalade
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 orange, thinly sliced
- 20 cloves
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Using a knife, carefully slice under rind of ham at the base, then using your fingers, carefully slide them between the ham rind and fat layer. The rind will come away easily but can tear so work slowly, gently forcing your fingertips between the layers. You need to retain as much fat as possible for scoring. This can be done with a small knife, but may result in an uneven, cut up surface.
- Using a sharp knife, score the fat in diagonal lines 3cm apart. Repeat from the other side of the ham to create a diamond pattern.
- Place ham in a large roasting pan. Pour majority of beer into the pan. Bake for 40 minutes, basting with beer half way through.
- In a small saucepan combine marmalade, smoked paprika and a quarter cup of the basting juices from the roasting pan. Bring to the boil and boil for 3 minutes then cool.
- Remove ham from oven and dot with cloves. Carefully smear the scored fat all over with the marmalade paste, then lay the orange slices over the top (pinning down with additional whole cloves).
- Return to oven and bake for a further 30 minutes or until golden, basting half way through. Serve with a selection of fresh herbs if desired.