Makes approx a dozen cookies
Recipe created for us by Iron Chef Shellie
- 150g plain flour (or gluten free flour)
- 225g cornflour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 150g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 110g caster sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla bean paste
- ½ jar Barker's Dulce de Leche
- ½ cup desiccated coconut, for rolling
- In a medium bowl, sift flour, cornflour, baking powder, and bicarbonate of soda. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time, and add vanilla bean paste just until combined. Add the flour mixture and mix just until combined. Do not over mix.
- Form dough into a large ball, then flatten slightly to form a disc. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
- Take dough out of the fridge and let it sit on the counter for a few minutes to soften if too hard to roll. Between two sheets of greaseproof paper, roll dough until approx 5mm thick. Cut out into rounds using a 5cm round cookie cutter, and place cookies on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes, or until cookies appear golden brown at the edges. Allow cookies to cool on tray for 10 minutes, then gently transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Spread the bottom half of the cookies with about 1 teaspoon of Dulce De Leche. Place the top half of the cookies on the milk caramel filled halves and sandwich together. Press slightly so that the caramel oozes out the sides. Roll the sides in shredded coconut.