Brown Sugar BiscuitsPRINT RECIPE
Makes: 24 biscuits
A delicious brown sugar biscuit topped with lilac icing (in our case), Brown Sugar Biscuits are also known as Easter Biscuits.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 115g butter, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp thickened cream
- 11/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 250g icing sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 11/2 tsp cream of tatar
- 2 Tbsp Barker's Squeezed NZ Blackcurrant fruit syrup
- In a large mixing bowl cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg, cream and vanilla.
- Slowly add in flour, baking powder and salt. Mix until well blended. If dough seems dry add 1/2 tsp of water.
- Cover dough in cling film. Pat flat (this will make it easier to roll out later). Refrigerate for at least a hour.
- Preheat oven to 175°C.
- Roll dough out on a floured surface to 1/2 cm thick and cut with cookie cutters.
- Place on a pre lined baking tray and bake at the centre of the oven for 9-10 minutes or until golden.
- Remove and let them cool on the tray for about 10 minutes then move to a cooling rack until completely cool.
- Put egg whites and cream of tartar in an electric mixer bowl and beat on high for about 30 seconds or till combined and there are no lumps.
- Add sifted icing sugar and mix on medium for around 10 minutes. Icing should be thick.
- Add the Squeezed NZ Blackcurrant fruit syrup to the icing. Stir to combine.
- Decorate as desired. Leave on a cooling rack to dry completely.